The Winston-Salem Regional Office administers a variety of services and benefits including Compensation and Pension, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment. Claims received from Veterans residing in North Carolina are processed by the Veterans Service Center. Claims received from active duty service members are submitted as pre-discharge claims and are processed by the Benefits Delivery Discharge Rating Activity Site, the Claims Processing Site, or the Integrated Disability Evaluation System. Other services provided include specially adapted housing grants, benefits counseling, fiduciary/guardianship services, outreach services to include the homeless, elderly, minority Veterans and women Veterans, and public affairs. Our goal is to provide optimum service through quality, timely and compassionate benefits delivery.
Service Members and Veterans can access VBA at four locations in the state: Winston-Salem, Ft Bragg, Camp Lejeune, and New River.
The Winston-Salem Regional Office employs 680 employees who provide benefits and services to approximately 773,630 Veterans in North Carolina. The office pays out $160 million monthly in Compensation and Pension payments for North Carolina beneficiaries.
North Carolina is home to six military installations:
· Fort Bragg (6th largest number of separations in the nation)
· Camp Lejeune (8th largest number of separations in the nation)
· Cherry Point Marine Corps Air Station
· New River Marine Corps Air Station
· Seymour Johnson Air Force Base
· Pope Air Force Base
North Carolina military installations continue to expand in mission, size and population. This growth in Veteran, active duty, reservist and dependent populations has resulted in a significant increase in compensation and pension claims, loan guaranty activity, requests for vocational rehabilitation and counseling services, requests for assistance and information, and a wide range of products and services required to support the activities of the Regional Office.
Service Organizations located at the Winston-Salem Regional Office:
- American Legion (AL)
- American Veterans of World War II, Korea and Vietnam (AMVETS)
- Disabled American Veterans (DAV)
- Military Order of the Purple Heart (MOPH)
- NC Division of Veterans Affairs (NCDVA)
- Paralyzed Veterans of America (PVA)
- Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW)